In the last few posts I shared the Best of 2008, but in this post I want to reflect on the best personal moments of 2008. I'm incredibly grateful for all that has happened in the past year.
What I remember more than events are moments – moments that were diverse, but extremely significant. Full of life. Rich. Precious. Monumental. Unforgettable. Joyful. Moments that leave indelible marks on our lives.
Here are a few of the highlights from 2008:
- My first book was translated, published and released in Spanish and Korean.
- reaching the goal to raise funds for Joni and Friends Camp scholarships – which meant me and my friend Jerry had to have our heads shaved bald.
- speaking at Philadelphia Biblical University's chapel services during Spiritual Emphasis Week on silence and solitude.
- attending the [Q] Conference in New York City with a good friend, which ignited many new passions, ideas and thoughts and rekindled old passions I had let smolder.
- participating in the Chelsea Art District Gallery Tour and critiquing art with Ben Stiller.
- Leading a week-long training in Maui with Youth With A Mission (YWAM) and getting to bring my sweet wife along.
- being asked by Scot McKnight to read an early draft of his manuscript The Blue Parakeet. [But the brilliance of the book has nothing to do my feedback, I can assure you!]
- stepping out to begin the early stages of this crazy, exciting adventure of a new faith community called Renew.
- participating in boot camp, training and assessment for the Ecclesia Network Church Planting Training in Richmond, VA.
- conducting our first official meetings with our launch team in a bar for the first two months of Renew's existence.
- spending a week with the entire Briggs clan at the family cabin in central Florida (a tradition that has continued for five generations)
- watching some great major league baseball games at Shea Stadium (Mets) and Citizens Bank Park (Phillies) – and a dramatic walk-off home run at Comerica Park (Tigers).
- spending a sunny August day sailing across the Tampa Bay with my uncle, Megan, my brother and sister-in-law on my uncle's sailboat.
- watching friends, former classmates and former ministry partners represent the United States in the Beijing Olympics – and medal!
- screaming my lungs out with 20 other friends as Brad Lidge clinched the Phillies' World Series, the first championship for the city of Philadelphia in over twenty years!
- spending the weekend with our launch team in Annapolis, MD (along with three other newly forming church plants) for training and team bonding and a night out on the town (what a blast!)
- experiencing an emotional and meaningful rock-dropping ceremony with my friend Brian after he made a decision to be a follower of Jesus.
- developing a relationship with Mohammed, the Imam of the mosque in our community, and continuing to learn a lot from him.
- joining Twitter
- being invited to share Carter's story and preaching at Franconia Mennonite Church for their annual Adoption Sunday.
- watching the Macy's Parade on Thanksgiving morning in New York City with Carter on my shoulders!Attending Motor City Bowl game at Ford Field with extended family. Florida Atlantic vs. Central Michigan isn't the most intriguing of matchups, but nonethless we had a great time in the cheap seats fulfilling a desire of mine: see a bowl game over the Christmas break.
I wait in excited anticipation for all the things that God has in store for us in 2009.